June 27, 2022
It is officially summer vacation for students! Libraries across Canada are prepared as TD Summer Reading Club programs have launched to encourage all readers to set reading goals, attend programs, and get prizes! Here at L&A Libraries we have a full lineup of programs that are sure to entertain and engage children of all ages: gross science, award winning author Peggy Collins, LEGO mania, cardboard forts, bad art, tie dye, story walks, “robot fun” and “art attack” to name a few.
The TD Summer Reading Club program is designed to inspire kids to explore the fun of reading their way which is key to building a lifelong love of reading, as well it keeps children reading over the course of the summer to help prevent the ‘Summer Slide’. What is the Summer Slide? Simply put, it means that student learning regresses over the vacation; if you don’t use the skills that have been learned over the school year you forget them. I like this visual from All About Learning Press:
How can we encourage our kids to read?
- Go to the library and check out a stack of books or graphic novels or magazines – it all counts!
- Download the Libby by Overdrive and Hoopla apps and read books or listen to audiobooks from your phone or tablet
- Read or listen to books together
- Start a book club with friends
- Sign up for the TD Summer Reading Club
Here are some book suggestions to help keep the kids engaged this summer:
- Craft Camp Over 40 Fun Projects for Kids by Nathalie Morny
- The Kids Cottage Games Book by Jane Drake
- Ultimate At Home Activity Guide by Mike Lowery
- 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids by Asia Citro
- The World Almanac True or False Questions for Smart Kids
So head to the library or check us out online and together we can entertain, inspire, and conquer summer vacation.
Patricia is a Library Assistant at the Napanee Branch. She is known for her fun and educational children’s storytimes and being a great resource for any reader seeking out the latest and greatest romance and chick-lit novels.